Mixed Farming Technology: Forum
Location: Parkes Services club, 9-17 Short St, parkes nsw
THURSDAY 2ND AUGUST 2018: 9AM - 4:30PM (8:30AM REGISTRATION)
- Cr Ken Keith (Mayor of Parkes Shire Council) - official welcome and opening
- Alex Macintosh (Meat & Livestock Australia): Sheep, cattle and goat meat market outlook - What are the short and long term directions with current record prices for lamb
- Nigel Tomkins (Meat & Livestock Australia) and Derrick Thomson (Hitachi): The use of sensor-driven data collection and process analytics for effective management of supply chain operations in the Australian red meat industry.
- Tim Neale (DataFarming): The delivery of simple data solutions can drive farm productivity across all production factors, through the use of farm data and satellite technology.
- Bill Gordon (Nufarm Limited): Use of herbicides in cotton, an emerging industry in the region. He will discuss the herbicide options available and the considerations required when using these herbicides safely.
- Matt Truman (Australian Centre for Field Robotics, University of Sydney): Matt will outline the work with the SwagBot robotic platform in developing capabilities such as weed identification, spot spraying, pasture survey, livestock monitoring and autonomous driving.
- Genya Miller (MSM Milling) - How challenging is it to get Australian food products into the Chinese market? MSM Milling has been exporting its canola oil in bulk for some years and is now targeting the expanding retail sector through e-commerce.
- Professor David Lamb (University of New England, Food Agility Chief Scientist): David will examine new technology opportunities (and some re-invented old ones) that will affect mixed farming as we move into the next decade.
- John Pattinson (Discovery Agriculture): John will discuss understanding the barriers to adopting ‘agtech’, including cost, connectivity and complexity and will also discuss solutions.
- Emily King (Australian Wool Innovation): AWI will provide an overview of new technology developments they are investigating in the sheep and wool industry, and discuss how AWI manages social media.
- David Watt (Sheep Feedlotting): David will provide a case study of his feedlot operation and how he has aimed to improve productivity by improving the quality of water available to the lambs.
- Ben Watts (BRALCA Consulting): Ben will speak about linking data collection to timely decisions and responses on the ground in the cropping and livestock industries.
$30 per person
$90 Per Family/Business(Group of 4)
Mixed Farming Technology: Field Day
location: Northparkes mine Farm demonstartion site, parkes (map below)
FRIDAY 3RD AUGUST 2018, 9:00AM - 1:30PM (8:30AM REGISTRATION)
Directions Via Google - https://goo.gl/maps/M8NPX2eRCUE2 & GPS coordinates -32.939395,148.024792
This Field Day will provide a hands-on half-day event discussing and demonstrating some of the technology in the field at the Northparkes mine site. Speakers and demonstrations include the following.
- Matt Burkitt of CMOC-Northparkes mines will give an overview of their extensive farming operations. He will also discuss the current use of agricultural technology assisting them in these activities.
- Tim Neale from DataFarming, will expand on the previous day’s forum to explain how he delivers simple data solutions to drive farm productivity across all production factors, through the use of farm data and satellite technology.
- Daryn Higgins from McPhersons Parts and Service Parkes (New Holland) will go through the application of the New Holland grain analyser.
- Jake Elliot from Sincock LVM Parkes will display and showcase the Case IH spray technology and its application
- Bruce Catto from Clipex will showcase their sheep handler and associated livestock handling equipment, including live demonstrations
- Ben Watts of BRALCA Consulting, will provide practical demonstrations at the field day with drone operations. He will link data collection to timely decisions and responses on the ground.
- Tovin Honeysett from Oilsplus will discuss hedging and forward purchasing your fuel to reduce the risk to your business from price fluctuations.
- Chris Green from Hutcheon & Pearce Forbes (John Deere) will provide a S700 series harvester tour
Di Gill from the Rural Adversity Mental Health Program (RAMHP) will also be available to chat about mental health support and services available to farmers and loved ones.
$20 per person
Includes morning tea and lunch
A wet weather contingency is in place for the field day.
All participants will be contacted if there are extreme weather conditions, so make sure that your contact details are clearly entered on the registration form.
Please call 0490 813 114 for an update or check the Agribusiness Today Facebook page here
field day - Directions to Northparkes Mine Farm Demonstration Site, McClintocks Ln, Parkes NSW
Directions via Google Maps here: https://goo.gl/maps/M8NPX2eRCUE2& GPS coordinates -32.939395,148.024792 (signs will be posted along the route from Parkes)
Leave Parkes heading north on the Newell Hwy, towards Dubbo.
Turn Left onto the Bogan Rd (there is a large green sign to Northparkes Mine). Follow this road for approx 20 km.
Turn Left onto McClintock's Lane (again there is another large green sign to Northparkes Mine).
Turn Left again to stay on McClintock's Lane. Follow this road for approx 3.5 km and turn right into the farm square.